Hello all,
To be honest; I thought this forum was no longer living; after a ( way too ) quick google search I did not find you --I did remember that I joined the forum several years ago and got a lot of help regarding my DIY 612 utility cabinets for my Altec Lansing 604E Super Duplex drivers. My Duplexs are no longer in my possession , with a much too low WAF, and still not having the possibility of having a dedicated hifi room...
Today I have a new pair of drivers; I am very eager to learn more about these drivers; a pair of 8" NOS Altec 755Es. I have too many questions, and I have already tried my luck at the lansing heritage forum ( NOS Altec 755E: Q: CABINET / AMP / TWEETER? ) ; after the last replay to my thread, I was redirected here; I am crossing fingers that this will be a more suitable place for my questions.
INFO:
I got my interest in these drivers after seeing on net a pair of reissues of the 755As ( alnico ) from LM Audio; based on the Western Electronics 755A ( see ref for more info about these reissues--I, myself, have no affiliation to LM Audio )
Q1. My 755Es measure 6.6ohm and 6.9ohm; will this 0,3ohm difference in resistance affect sound? The specs on the 755E says 6.8ohm
I will make a cabinet based on the Altec 618. It will be made of high grade pine plywood. All sides in 9mm ( 1/2 inch= 12mm ) so this is by far the thinnest cabinet Ive made, but Ive read on net that some of the original 618 cabinets were made out of 9mm ply. I will rear mount my 755Es. I will reinforce the cabinets as shown at this site / most of my info about how I wanted to do my cabs are from this site: REF: Junkyard Jukebox
Q2: What kind of material should I use as damping / it looks to me that these original 618 units did not have much damping material?
Q3: I have not found / read much about matching between amps and the 755Es. What kind of amplifiers should I consider?
Q4: I have understood that the 755Es do ( need ) work well with different tweeters. I do got a pair of Decca Super Tweeters ( ribbon tweeters ) with a range of 7KHz- 30KHz, Crossover at 7 KHz, Efficiency : 88db at 4W at 1meter. Is this a plug & play unit with the 755Es? ( For the record: I do have very little knowledge about integrating tweeters / subwoofers with my gear. )
All inputs will be greatly appreciated.






Bookmarks